The Ministry of Culture, Gender, Entertainment & Sport has announced a schedule of activities to honour the Reggae Girlz’ historic qualification to the FIFA Women’s World Cup.
Minister Olivia Grange in a release said the activities will begin on Saturday December 15 with a motorcade, which will go through the Corporate Area and St.Catherine.
One of the stops will be at GC Foster (College of Physical Education and Sport). The release added that two of the girls are from Arnett Gardens, so the ministry will do something there.
Minister Grange said it was “important that the girls are given a hero’s welcome and shown appreciation for their outstanding achievement” of qualifying for the World Cup Finals to be held in France in 2019.
The celebratory activities include a major praise, worship and thanksgiving concert at Emancipation Park on Sunday December 16 featuring some of the biggest names in local gospel music including Kevin Downswell, Kukudoo, Sista Pat and Wayne Marshall.
The Reggae Girlz will also be feted at a special reception hosted by Prime Minister, the Most Honourable Andrew Holness.
The full schedule follows:
- Friday, 14 December 2018 -overseas-based members of team arrive
- Saturday, 15 December 2018 – motorcade across Montego Bay, St Catherine, Kingston and St Andrew
- Sunday, 16 December 2018 – Praise, Worship and Thanksgiving Concert at Emancipation Park (5pm to 8pm)
- Monday, 17 December 2018 -Courtesy Calls on leaders (schedule to be confirmed) – Reception hosted by the Prime Minister, Andrew Holness
- Tuesday, 18 December 2018 – Fun day (North Coast)
- Wednesday, 19 December 2018 – members of team depart Jamaica